Motif Monday - Motif 9 - Diabolo
When my son, Leo, was a teenager, he was quite good at doing tricks with his diabolo, a toy with two plastic cup shaped domes on the end of string connected to a stick. A huge variety of tricks is possible including spinning, using your body, string manipulations, hand interactions and the creating of patterns. For some reason, this made me think of how we do crochet!
This week’s motif has twists and turns and hand actions using ‘string’ - YaRN! I just love how it turned out. There are so many beautiful motifs around at the moment from the simple (like those I’ve done for Motif Monday) to very complex ones like the Love Wink does from @acreativebeing. I just love her mandalas!
Motif 9 will be the last motif for now, because... next week, I have another idea for you!
Tune in next Monday to find out what it is! :-)
NB: UK terms
8ply yarn, three colours – white, burnt orange, mustard
Using white, make a magic ring.
1. 16dc into the ring. Slst into the first dc.
2. Dc in 1st dc, 3ch, miss 1dc, *dc in next dc, 3ch, miss 1dc** Repeat from * to ** all round. Slst into the 1st dc. Fasten off.
3. Join burnt orange with a *dc into any 3ch space, 6ch, dc in 3ch space, repeat from * all round. Slst into the first dc.
4. Dc in the same place as the slst. *(htr, 5tr, htr = treble group) into the 6 ch space, dc in dc of previous row** repeat from * to ** all round. Slst into the first dc. Fasten off.
5. Join mustard with a *dc in dc of previous row, (3ch, 1tr, 5ch, 1tr) in middle tr of treble group of previous row, 3ch** repeat from * to ** all round. Slst into the first dc.
6. Dc in every stitch all around. Slst into the first dc. Fasten off.
|Rows 1 - white, 2- burnt orange|
7. Join white with a *dc into the dc in the 3rd ch of the 5ch space of the previous row, (ch 5 [loop] , dc) into the same dc, ch5, 4dtrcl in between the two dc in the valley of the previous row, ch5, dc in dc of the 3rd ch of the 5ch space, ch5, 4dtrcl, 5ch** Repeat 3 more times, sl st into the first ch of the 5ch loop
|Corner 5ch, (ctr, 5ch, 3tr) 5ch|
8. 3ch (counts as 1tr), (2tr, 5ch, 3tr) into the 5ch loop, 5ch, dc in the tip of the 4dtrcl, dc in the next 7sts, 5ch, dc in the same place as the previous dc, dc in the next 6 sts, 5ch, *(3tr, 5ch, 3tr) , 5ch into the 5ch loop, 5ch, dc in the tip of the 4dtrcl, dc in the next 7sts, 5ch, dc in the
same place as the previous dc, dc in the next 6 sts, 5ch** repeat from * to ** two more times. Slst into 3rd ch of the beg 3ch. Fasten off.
Sew in ends and block.
Next week, since it’s school holidays here in Australia, I have a fun project to get your children (or you, if they’re not interested) crocheting.
Happy motif making,